We currently have 2 Scholarship Programs:
- Student Scholarship for MSW in their final year of school
- National Conference Speaker Scholarship
2019 Student Scholarship by the Society for Social Work Leadership in Healthcare, WA Chapter (SSWLHC-WA)
Purpose of Award:
- To raise the visibility of the Social Work profession in the area of health care.
- To honor and support outstanding students who are committed to pursuing a Social Work career in health care.
- To provide mentorship opportunities to students new to the field
- To offer students the chance to observe how a voluntary board functions
Description of Award:
The scholarship winner will receive a cash award of $1,000 – $3,000
In addition, all applicants will receive a one-year membership in the SSWLHC, Washington Chapter.
Recipient(s) of the award will function as a Member-at-Large on the Washington State SSWLHC Board for one year. The recipient(s) will act as representative(s) for the social work students to the Board and participate in monthly board meetings. Recipients will also be asked to serve on one committee to support SSWLHC activities, under the guidance of a Committee Chair, including:
- Editing/compiling Newsletters
- Providing support for organizing Educational events
- Technology (Social media, website support, etc.)
- Social Work Policy (creating content for newsletter on Social Work Policy in Healthcare)
- Providing support with Scholarship selection for next year’s cohort
Recipients are expected to dedicate 2 to 7 hours a month to the board for attending meetings and participation board business.
The award is open to any student in Washington State who:
- Is a Master of Social Work candidate of any Washington State MSW program, and
- Will be enrolled as a 2nd year MSW student in the academic year 2018-19, or will graduate with an MSW in 2019, and
- Shows commitment to a career in health care Social Work (clinical, program planning, administrative, research), and
- Holds U.S. residency, or if an international student, plans to work in medical social work in the United States for two years post-graduation.
Application materials should be submitted via email to Tricia Matteson at email@example.com
- For applicants, please include the following subject line: SSWLHC 2019 Scholarship – Application
- For references, please include the following subject line: SSWLHC 2019Scholarship – Reference
Applications should include:
- A brief cover sheet with your name, address, telephone, and email address, as well as the names of your three (3) references.
- A resume outlining your volunteer, practicum, and/or paid work experience.
- A personal statement (not to exceed 500 words), describing an aspect of Health Care Social Work practice in which you are interested, explaining what you believe to be your potential to make a unique contribution to that area of practice.
- Three letters of reference. Please have your references email their letters directly to Tricia Matteson at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: SSWLHC 2018 Scholarship – Reference
- One fieldwork recommendation,
- One recommendation from an employment or volunteer experience
- An additional academic, fieldwork or employment recommendation,
Additional application materials will not be accepted.
Applications will be due by July 1, 2019.
The SSWLHC Student Award Committee will review all applications. The Committee may request personal interviews. Candidates will be notified of the Committee’s decision by August 1, 2019.
The recipient of the award will be featured in the Society newsletter and may be asked to receive the award at the fall SSWLHC educational meeting.
Applications should be submitted via email to:
Tricia Matteson, email@example.com
2019 National Conference Speaker Scholarship
Our local Washington Chapter is excited to announce a new scholarship for presenting members to attend the Annual National Conference in Kansas City in October 2019.
In an effort to support the talent and knowledge of our membership, SSWLHC-WA is providing one $1500 scholarship for a local member who is accepted to present at the national conference. If you’re considering submitting and abstract to present in March but find finances a barrier, please keep this opportunity in mind. Scholarship applications will be released this spring and decided after presenters are announced. This scholarship is only available to WA chapter members, 2018-19 dues paid as of 3.14.2019 who are accepted as conference presenters.