2018 Scholarship Call by the Society for Social Work Leadership in Healthcare, WA Chapter (SSWLHC-WA)
2018 SSWLHC-WA SCHOLARSHIP
[Application period is now closed. Please look for 2019 scholarships in Spring 2019]
Purpose of Award:
- To raise the visibility of the Social Work profession in the area of health care.
- To honor and support outstanding students who are committed to pursuing a Social Work career in health care.
- To provide mentorship opportunities to students new to the field
- To allow access to students to see how a voluntary board functions
Description of Award:
The scholarship winner will receive a cash award of $2,000 – $3,000
In addition, all applicants will receive a one-year membership in the SSWLHC, Washington Chapter.
Recipient(s) of the award will function as a Member-at-Large on the Washington State SSWLHC Board for one year. The recipient(s) will act as representative(s) for the social work students to the Board and participate in monthly board meetings. Recipients will also be asked to serve on one committee to support SSWLHC activities, under the guidance of a Committee Chair, including:
- Editing/compiling Newsletters
- Providing support for organizing Educational events
- Technology (Social media, website support, etc.)
- Social Work Policy (creating content for newsletter on Social Work Policy in Healthcare)
- Providing support with Scholarship selection for next year’s cohort
Recipients are expected to dedicate 2 to 7 hours a month to the board for attending meetings and participation board business.
The award is open to any student in Washington State who:
- Is a Master of Social Work candidate of any Washington State MSW program, and
- Will be enrolled as a 2nd year MSW student in the academic year 2018-19, or will graduate with an MSW in 2019, and
- Shows commitment to a career in health care Social Work (clinical, program planning, administrative, research), and
- Holds U.S. residency, or if an international student, plans to work in medical social work in the United States for two years post-graduation.
Applicants are requested to apply by via email to Sima Kulshreshtha,
- For applicants, please include the following subject line: SSWLHC 2018 Scholarship – Application
- For references, please include the following subject line: SSWLHC 2018 Scholarship – Reference
Applications should include:
- A brief cover sheet with your name, address, telephone, and email address, as well as the names of your three (3) references.
- A resume outlining your volunteer, practicum, and/or paid work experience.
- A personal statement (not to exceed 500 words), describing an aspect of Health Care Social Work practice in which you are interested, explaining what you believe to be your potential to make a unique contribution to that area of practice.
- Three letters of reference. Please have your references email their letters directly to Sima Kulshreshtha, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: SSWLHC 2018 Scholarship – Reference
- One fieldwork recommendation,
- One recommendation from an employment or volunteer experience
- An additional academic, fieldwork or employment recommendation,
Additional application materials will not be accepted.
The SSWLHC Student Award Committee will review all applications. The Committee may request personal interviews. Candidates will be notified of the Committee’s decision by August 1, 2018.
The recipient of the award will be featured in the Society newsletter and may be asked to receive the award at the fall SSWLHC educational meeting. Applications will be due by July 1, 2018.
Applications should be submitted via email to:
Sima Kulshreshtha, email@example.com